The practice of Dr. Dagmar Whitaker has special interests in the following aspects of dermatology:
- Skin cancer diagnosis and treatment;
- It has state of the art "mole mapping" facilities - a computer to screen and monitor moles;
- Photodynamic therapy -a nonsurgical and non scarring treatment for removal of skin cancer and solar keratosis, which are precancerous lesions;
- Minor surgical procedures i.e. removal of moles, cancerous lesions, skin tags etc;
- The treatment of Psoriasis – the practice runs a light therapy unit offering Bath-PUVA and narrowband UVB as well as a dedicated machine treating hands and feet. The same lights can also be used to treat severe eczema and Vitiligo;
- The use of various LED lights proven to be effective in the treatment of Acne and Wound healing (e.g. chronic leg ulcers);
- Treatment of Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) with Tap water Iontophoresis.
- Sclerotherapy for leg veins;
- The practice is part of the Lasermed group and use lasers for facial veins, wart removal, hair removal etc.
Dr. Whitaker’s history
Dr. Whitaker was born in Germany and did her pre-grad training in Frankfurt, Germany.
She has been in South Africa since 1986 and specialised in Dermatology at the University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg Hospital.
Dr. Whitaker has been in private practice since 1994.
Dr. Whitaker is married to a Urologist and has 2 daughters
Dr. Whitaker currently has the following professional affiliations:
- President of the Melanoma Advisory Board South Africa
- Vice president of the Dermatological Society South Africa
- Chairperson of the Independent Practice Association of Dermatologists in the Western Cape
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Vitiligo association
- Member of various advisory boards (Shering - Psoriasis, Abbott - Psoriasis, Loreal - sunscreens)
- Member of the editorial board of Women’s Health magazine, Shape magazine and Clicks Club magazine
- Author of the “Melanoma Guidelines South Africa”
- Co Author of the “Psoriasis Guidelines South Africa”